These past few weeks I have been experiencing a (very minor) health issue, and the symptoms have been puzzling. Two important people in my life reminded me to never underestimate the mind-body connection and that the symptoms could be the result of an emotional issue. Hmmm.
So this weekend, Bill started asking me questions about what the symptoms might be related to. After an entire evening of deep and meaningful conversation (nice to be married to a trained coach!), I got to the crux of a big issue for me. It was about the way I occasionally hold myself back in important situations and don’t play as ‘full-out’ as I’d like to or as I could. I don’t always fully shine my light, letting the world see – and have – all of me.
As you may have read before, this has been an issue for me throughout the years. I’ve had past counseling sessions, great coaching guidance, and most recently it came up in the Intention Circle I’m a part of.
The world wants us to be all of who we are! And it’s interesting how it finally manifested itself physically for me.
At the end of the night, Bill gave me a homework assignment which I worked on over the weekend. My symptoms were literally gone within 24 hours! I knew I was on to the start of something big. Then this morning I made my daily visit to my friend Liv’s blog, Choosing Beauty. What I saw was the icing on the cake of what I needed to take on as my next homework assignment.
In her post called Choosing to Be Me, Liv answered the question: “Who are you?” This summer I wrote a post that addressed the same question. But now I was ready to take it even further than that. Rather than giving you the ‘big-picture’ version of who I am, I’m getting more specific, like Liv did. Part of it is so that you can get to know me better, but most importantly, it’s so I can proclaim it to myself and the world and say it out loud.
So I’m choosing to give myself this additional homework assignment below. Besides, you readers have told me that the more I share the ‘real’ me, the more you feel energized to do the same!
Here goes. The real me:
- I love helping others feel seen, heard, valued, and affirmed
- My favorite form of self-care is massage
- I celebrate and appreciate everything about my life
- I love summer road trips and eating Subway at roadside picnic tables
- I like and enjoy my husband so much that I could be with him 24/7
- The biggest honor I can think of is to be with someone when they die
- I’m big into ambience – dim lighting, loungy music, dark/rich colors
- I have this crazy sense of ‘knowing’…about people, things, and life
- I absolutely love my work as a Coach, helping others be their best
- I dig all 70’s tunes and classic rock and can name any title/artist in a heartbeat
- I’m big on integrity – with me, what you see is what you get
- I like to drop an F-bomb occasionally to emphasize a point
- I enjoy long, slow dinners at quiet upscale restaurants
- I dig meaningful conversation about life
- As much as I get energy from people, I love being at home by myself
- I love dancing
- The people I admire most are those who live life on their own terms
- My ultimate way to spend a day is on a cruise ship in the Caribbean
- I pay attention to what brings me joy and I go with it
- I steer clear of negativity and drama
- As an Aquarius, I’m at home on or near the water
- I can’t tell one wine from the next, but I’m definitely a beer connoisseur
- For me, life is all about the “experience”
- Dogs completely melt my heart
- I base my decisions on what feels right
- I thrive in hot weather and the sun is my best friend
- I believe that what you put out into the world is what comes back to you
- I love being still and quiet in nature
- My bucket list includes skydiving and significantly impacting the life of a child
- I always make my home perfect for me so that I feel good in my own space – clean, neat, organized, reflective of what I love
- One of my top values in relationships is clear communication
- I’ve never felt that my role here on earth is to be a parent
- I’m not big into labels, but I will say that “Love” is my religion
- Vacations make me come alive and help me re-charge, big-time
- I’m proud of all the work I’ve done to create a successful business that I love
- I believe we are all God’s children, period
- I ask for help when I need it
- I love being a cheerleader for others
- When family members don’t get along or talk to each other, I’m the one common denominator that is a friend to everyone
- I’m blessed to have great health
- I don’t watch TV (except for an occasional “Oprah” or “America’s Funniest Videos”)
- Simplicity is tops on my priority list
- I love happy hour
- I’ve been kissed by Neil Diamond and am still smiling!
- I’m an only child and grew up with positivity and resiliency on my side
- I’m the person who drives down the street with the bass thumping way too loud (totally annoying, I know, but I do it anyway)
- I love giving unexpected gifts or monetary donations as a surprise
- I have a knack for getting front row tickets to my favorite concerts
- If I had a personal brand uniform, it would be Lucky jeans and a gray t-shirt
- I love noticing and paying attention to synchronicity
- I make things happen; when I want something, I go and get it
- I love to laugh and I think I have a good sense of humor
- I don’t like being connected 24/7; only a few people know my cell # and I don’t own a smartphone
- I believe in the abundance of life
- My key ingredient for a great relationship is mutual respect
- No matter what anyone else says, I always know what’s best for me (I’m still working on trusting that)
- I’m very careful about what I let in; I consciously choose to surround myself with positive energy
- I’m not a big reader, but I love a good movie about life
- If I had one mantra to live by, it would be: “Always come from a place of love. Always.”
- I like to be daring (now and then)
- I still work at reminding myself every day to focus on what’s most important
- I love recognition and feedback (and blog comments!)
- I believe in the goodness of all people and things
Okay. There. That felt good! Too often I’m shy about “who” I am. But the more I grow and develop along in this journey of life, the more I will proudly keep being “me.” Following your joy is about being all of who you are.
Every time I see this anonymous quote, it reminds me about living life fully…and it always makes me smile:
“Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, martini in-hand, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: ‘Woohoo!!! What a ride!’”
How ‘bout you – got some bulletpoints you’d like to list below about who you are? I’d love it. Plus, it’s a great exercise and kinda fun! Look forward to hearing your thoughts.
Thanks for listening to mine. :)